Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Going on remicade

I wasn't left with many options. It appears now that the least appetizing choice is my only one for the time being. Perhaps that any choice is available should be seen as a blessing.

The colonoscopy revealed massive colitis virtually everywhere in the digestive tract, from the esophegus to the bowel. My gi doc took eight biopsies and performed a rather invasive set of investigations into my gut. I'm glad she did mind you since this test seems to have proven fairly conclusivly that something is wrong.

What to do now?

The first option is to increase the amount of steroids I take, but since the first line of defense in colitis is prednisone and considering it's a drug I've taken since 1985, it would seem I've been down that road already.

My second choice is to try a new drug, one in a class of biologicals which I've strategically avoided up to now due to the comprimising side effects that i'd be open to. However since my back is against the wall now, and I can't really live as productive life as I'd want with this condition staying as is, the option of trying this new drug has grown on me.

It's called remicade. It's not a pill, but an infusion performed through an iv line ultimately every eight weeks following the first several graduated intro infusions.

The drawbacks are many. Not the least of which it will make my immune system even weaker than it already is. My immune system has been to blame for many of my hospitsluzations in recent years and the prospect of seeing more er visits and admissions is not a welcoming thought. But after praying on it I have chosen that the time is right to give it a shot.




No comments:

Post a Comment